Life in the Twenty Valley area of Niagara can get pretty exciting come summertime.
At McGarr Realty, we get to see what’s going on in Niagara, and we think Lincoln is a great place to both visit and live.
Once the excitement of Canada’s sesquicentennial has past, residents and visitors look to some wonderful summer weather to help them get and enjoy all Lincoln has to offer.
This August, towns and villages take advantage of summer days to celebrate their agricultural roots, winery successes and local merchants.
In Lincoln, the Twenty Valley experience is found in quaint towns sprinkled inland – Vineland, Beamsville, Campden, Jordan Station and Vineland Station.
Even if you are just passing through, be sure to stop the car and explore the region’s artisanal shops, one-of-a-kind restaurants, and visionary distilleries. You might also happen upon something exciting: Just a few of Lincoln’s attractions you can visit this August include:
- Meet up with an ostrich at Ostrich Land Ontario. Tour this family owned ostrich farm for a fun experience viewing ostrich chicks, feeding yearlings and meeting their parents, too! Located at 8299 Concession 2 Road, West Lincoln. Hours Friday through Monday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Ball’s Falls Conservation Area: Bring your camera and go for a hike alongside Twenty Mile Creek and watch as it tumbles from high cliffs from observation areas both above and below the falls. Visit the Ball farm, with its restored home; an operating flour mill; a lime kiln; a church; blacksmith shop; carriage shed and more. Hike or stroll the Cataract Trail and enjoy the area’s breathtaking scenery. Visit the Ball’s Falls Centre for Conservation and enjoy its interactive exhibits that focus on the centre’s nature, conservation efforts and culture as it relates to the area’s history, the Escarpment and the watershed. The centre is open daily. Located at 3292 Sixth Ave., Jordan.
- Flyboard Niagara: A new twist on watersports! Flyboard Niagara offers certified Hydroflight instruction in both Jetpack and Flyboard, along with rentals of Seadoo, kayak and paddle board. Learn something new on the water this season, only in Lincoln! Located at the Ramada Jordan Beacon Harbourside Resort, 2793 North Service Rd., Jordan.
- Twenty Valley Golf & Country Club: Just 30 minutes from the Skyway Bridge, this semi-private, lovely course meanders rolling grounds alongside Twenty Mile Creek. Fast greens and tree-lined fairways offer challenging golf for all abilities. Trial membership is available. After your round, visit the Valley Grill, a locally inspired eatery featuring the best of the region’s agricultural produce. Located at 3814 Yonge St., Vineland.
- Inn on the Twenty: This lovely boutique hotel located in Twenty Valley wine country offers unique accommodations in charming Jordan Village. Enjoy so much more than just a spa weekend or a romantic couple’s retreat with your proximity to more than 40 area wineries. Make a weekend of it and enjoy wine tours, a spa visit and delicious fine dining at On The Twenty Restaurant. The Inn is located at 3845 Main St., Jordan Village, right across the road from Cave Spring Cellars winery.
- Jordan House Tavern: With a fine selection of Niagara wines and craft beer to complement the fully stocked bar, the “J House” is a great place to bring friends and unwind over some excellent meals. On Fridays and Saturdays, enjoy the best local live pub music in the Twenty Valley. You’ll hear folk, jazz, classic rock and country. Check the August calendar and get there early. Grab a table before the band brings it – 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. The J House is located at 3751 Main St., Jordan Station.
- Cycling the Twenty Valley: Bring your bikes and get up close and personal with the Niagara Escarpment. Niagara’s Waterfront Trail and West Lincoln and Wainfleet Route will take you through some of Lincoln and West Lincoln’s prettiest waterfront and agricultural areas. Stop for lunch at a winery, or a park. For a map of all Niagara cycling routes, click HERE.
- While we’re mentioning cycling to wineries, let’s talk about the wineries themselves. The Niagara Escarpment and Twenty Valley bench is peppered with oodles of award-winning wineries. Visit 40-plus estates where a unique microclimate supports Ontario’s most-active wine region and burgeoning culinary scene. Twenty Valley wineries offer summer events that include live music, tasty culinary events and more, from yoga and sheep in the vineyard (they’re baa-ck!) to winemakers’ dinners and in-depth looks at Bench-style Rieslings. For a full summer events listing, visit Wine Country Ontario, HERE.
- Perhaps wine isn’t your thing. Take heart: This part of Niagara is becoming well known for its craft breweries and local distilleries. Dillon’s Small-Batch Distillers produces unique Canadian Rye Whisky, white Rye, vodka, gin, bitters, Limoncello and absinthe. Tours are available from the distiller, located at 4833 Telford Rd., Beamsville. Forty Creek offers tours and shopping of its local products, featuring Forty Creek Spike, a honey spiced whisky, in addition to its Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve whisky and its oak-aged Confederation Oak whisky. Visit the distillery at 297 South Service Rd. W., Grimsby. The Bench Brewing Company takes a farmhouse approach to craft brewing, using local ingredients that create a unique brew. Currently, eight labels are available, some, like the company’s Twenty Mile Farmhouse Ale, are available at the LCBO also. Brewery and shop are located at 3991 King St., Beamsville.
- Visit a local park for Family movie night: Bring a lawn chair and enjoy a family friendly movie at Hilary Bald Park at dusk, Aug. 12. Admission is free with a donation of a non-perishable food item to Community Care of West Niagara. Some refreshments will be available for purchase. Hilary Bald Park is located at 4483-4487 Garden Gate Terrace, Beamsville. The park also features a multi-use trail and bikeway system, and a splash pad.
- Family swim time: Lincoln is home to two outdoor pools: Allan F. Gretsinger Community Pool at 4361 Central Ave., Beamsville; and Jordan Lions Pool, 2793 Fourth Ave., Jordan Station. Both areas feature outdoor pools and the Lions park features a splash or spray pad, open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., until Labour Day. A second spray pad, with the same hours, is available at Hilary Bald Park, 4483-4487 Garden Gate Terrace, Beamsville. Don’t forget to check out Lincoln’s beaches, too: For beach conditions and locations, click HERE.
From touristy shopping at charming boutiques to quaint bed-and-breakfast or local inn accommodations, Lincoln welcomes visitors from all over for a celebration of nature, community events and all things local, from agricultural produce to fine wines, spirits and gustatory delights.
Get in on the fun!
To learn more about Lincoln and its small-town ambiance, visit the town’s website at www.lincoln.ca.
Getting ready to make a big move? Give McGarr Realty a call at 905-468-9229 in Niagara-on-the-Lake, or 905-687-9229 in St. Catharines. Send us a message via our contact page, HERE.
See you soon!